PDA

View Full Version : STL iterators under debugger?

Erex
06-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi everybody,

Does someone know why there is no support for iterators under TotalView? Was there some reason not to have this or there is some technical restriction?
I have tried to implement TTF for them but for some reason (probably I do something wrong) my TTF isn't called for iterators (I tried to call them Struct) although I was able to use TTF for usual classes. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

PeterT-RogueWave
06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I do know that writing up type transforms, or TTF's s we refer to them, is not the easiest most straight forward task. I suspect we offered vectors, maps, lists, and strings as the easiest and most used STL methods. It may be that iterators are specific to each particular STL and that makes a single iteratorator transform more difficult. But I hae also seen a suggestion for a single iterator TTF, so that previous argument might not hold. If you want to post your attempt at an iterator TTF here, I'd be interested in taking a look at it and I or someone else looking in, might be able to help out.

Regards,

Erex
07-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Hi Pete,

Thank you very much for the response! I'll do ask you more about iterators but a bit latter. The thing is that I found that we use different versions of C++ standard library at once (which is awful of course and should be fixed ASAP) and because of this I suppose the TotalView has problems with correct casting of types. So we should fix this first.
But from the point of view of C++ debugging it would be extremely useful to support full set of objects from standard library. It's so painful and time consuming to debug such programs.

Thank you,
Andrey.