PDA

View Full Version : Cannot dive into defined type with gfortran-4.4.2

reubendb
12-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Hello,
I am having problem with Totalview on a machine with gcc/gfortran 4.4.2 on linux x86-64 (Fedora 12).

When I dive into a derived type variable, all I see on the dive window blank. Expression:, Type, and Address are filled on the top of the window, but Field, Type, and Value is completely blank.

Furthermore, on the console, I see the following message, and a lot more of the same message when Totalview is stopped at breakpoint:

Encountered unsupported location operator 0x9c, (call_frame_cfa)

Some more information of the environment:
Totalview-8.7.0-6
GCC/GFortran 4.4.2

Here's output of gfortran -v:
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla --enable-bootstrap --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada --enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-dssi --enable-plugin --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre --enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-java-maintainer-mode --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --disable-libjava-multilib --with-ppl --with-cloog --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=i686 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux

Thanks for any help.
RDB

PeterT-RogueWave
12-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi,

I think I just went over this in the general discussion forum, but the Fortran discussion is a better place for it.

An example sent to support@totalviewtech.com would be the best way to deal with this. I suspect this may be some new DWARF issues we were given a heads up about recently, and I'd like to check to see if this is true. Though maybe we're not expecting those until 4.5... In any case it sounds like something we should look into.

Regards,

reubendb
12-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Hello Pete,

Sorry for the redundant post in the General forum, I thought this was a better place after I posted there.

Yes, so apparently this is a new DWARF emitted by GFortran (the RedHat compiler). Apparently my distribution backported this changes from the trunk (GCC 4.5) to the 4.4 version, and that's why totalview is having problem although the documentation says it supports GCC/GFortran 4.4

I filed a bug report with RedHad, which turn out not to be a bug, but it gives more information about this nonetheless:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=546520

The error message from Totalview happens when I create a breakpoint, when I dive, etc. A sample of very simple program is included in that bug report URL above. it's as simple as created a derived type.

In any case, I will send email to support@totalviewtech.com with all these information. We'd like to start using and testing our code with GCC/GFortran-4.5 because we'd like to start using new features in Fortran 2003.

Thank you
RDB

PeterT-RogueWave
12-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Reuben,

I hadn't seen anything sent to support yet, but I think this was important enough that I didn't want to wait around. I've had our sysadmin's set up a Fedora 12 system and was easily able to reproduce this issue. I filed a bug report (though maybe it really qualifies as an enhancement request... ) and we'll be looking into it and other DWARF 3 issues.

Thanks,