PDA

View Full Version : PV-WAVE, Linux, WINE

stleric
01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
This is probably a long shot but has anyone tried installing a Windows version of PV-WAVE onto a Linux box using the WINE environment? It seems the PV-Wave installer comes with its own java kit and I think it's somehow getting crosswise with the Linux environment (OpenSUSE 12.1). In any case the installer is failing early on, like just after it initializes/unpacks itself.

The other thought that just occurred to me was to install it on an actual Windows box and just copy everything over to the OpenSUSE box. In which case, does PV-WAVE stay confined to the VNI folder or is it scattered all over?

Why go through all these gyrations when there's a RHEL version? We already have the Windows version running on a Mac but we may be headed for trouble with that setup.

TIA,
eric

rwagner
01-09-2012, 08:47 AM
I usually end up doing virtual machines for this type of thing. I have never heard of anyone running WAVE under WINE, and based on my personal experiences with WINE, I wouldn't think this is a stable solution.

I would agree, you can just copy your files over from a Windows installation. More or less all the installer does is unzip some files into the VNI directory. No registry entries or anything.

As to why you're doing this to begin with... I'm still confused. You're running WINE on a Mac? Or you want to make sure you are running the same installation (Windows) on Mac and Linux?

Cheers,
Ryan

stleric
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I usually end up doing virtual machines for this type of thing. I have never heard of anyone running WAVE under WINE, and based on my personal experiences with WINE, I wouldn't think this is a stable solution.

I would agree, you can just copy your files over from a Windows installation. More or less all the installer does is unzip some files into the VNI directory. No registry entries or anything.

As to why you're doing this to begin with... I'm still confused. You're running WINE on a Mac? Or you want to make sure you are running the same installation (Windows) on Mac and Linux?

Cheers,
Ryan

Ryan, thanks for the tip. I did a similar exercise not too long ago and remember stumbling over some open source VM project. Its name escapes me at the moment but it shouldn't be too hard to retrieve.

As to why and what I'm doing; presently, I have a Windows version of PV-WAVE running on a Mac under Parallels (Win7). The idea is to be able to have a user use PV-WAVE (actually, a program that was built on PV-WAVE) from a remote computer using OS-X's screen sharing facility. However if someone is using the Mac locally at the same time someone else is trying to use it remotely hilarity will ensue. My idea is to run PV-WAVE on a Linux box because, my thinking goes, I have a wider choice of VNC servers at least some of which will let me create multiple, non-interfering desktop sessions. I couldn't find any such alternatives in OS-X land.

Thanks again,
eric