PDA

View Full Version : license manager in a laptop

egcp
07-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi,

I run wave (v8.51a, Linux) on a laptop with a node-locked license. It works fine when connected to the internet. However, when the laptop is booted up with no internet connection the license manager is not started and obviously wave does not run. The message from VNI.LOG is: Failed to open the TCP port number in the license.

So, my question is how do I start the license manager when there is no internet connection? I thought a node-locked license would take care of that.

Thanks,
egcp

brian
07-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Hello egcp,

I assume we are talking about a counted node locked license. Your FEATURE line will have an integer number following the date, 01-jan-00, indicating the number of seats you have. In this case you will need to run the license manager on the laptop. Otherwise the license server will not be available to your disconnected computer.

You may need to contact PV-WAVE support (support@boulder.vni.com) to have a new feature line issued. I'm guessing they will request information about your laptop. So you may want to source the $VNI_DIR/wave/bin/wvsetup and run the $VNI_DIR/license/bin/get_host_info script.

The info they might request will be in a hostinfo.machinename file.

Regards,

brian

egcp
07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have a counted node locked license and the license manager runs on the same laptop that I run wave. Except, that the license manager doesn't run if the laptop is not booted up with an internet connection.

So, I agree with you it should work, but it doesn't.
My license file looks like this:

FEATURE WADVANTAGE VNI 8.5 01-jan-00 1 ################### \
HOSTID=network hardware address

#: integer number
network hardware address: hexadecimal network hardware address

Thanks,
Enrique

brian
07-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Hello Enrique,

The FlexLM Users Guide, pg 108 (http://www.macrovision.com/pdfs/flexlm_licensing_end_user_guide.pdf), implies that the HostID on a Linux box must be related to the Ethernet address or a USB port dongle. If you are using DHCP on your network, I think you will find that the address differs on and off the network.

Regards,

brian

egcp
07-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks Brian,

As I understand it, the license is tied to the network hardware address (HostID), that is, the unique hexadecimal identifier of the network card supplied with the laptop. It does not change whether the laptop is on or off the net. If the license were related to the IP number assigned by a DHCP server, then it would be a question of just addding that IP number to the hosts file so the laptop would use that IP off the net for anything that required it.

That's why I'm baffled that the license server does not start with the laptop off the network. Becasue the HostID depends on hardware that does not change whether the laptop is on or off the net.

Thanks,
egcp