PDA

View Full Version : PDE2D - Crack

Adriana
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Hello PDE2D users,

because of the versatile applications of PDE2D, I am wondering if anyone of you has run PDE2D for crack Problems, specially for dynamical case (time dependent problem)?

Specifically I have had the following Problem: in order to demonstrate the capability of a new model for an equation of motion to reproduce dynamic crack tip (position, propagation speed, etc) in 2-D, simulations using PDE2D by the dump/restart option present in the Software and by Galerkin Method were made, so I could also evaluate the stress intensity factor for a Mode III of fracture.

The results were in reasonably good agreement with other calculation, although finding numerical solutions for dynamic fracture for this problem were extremely difficult.

I am asking now, if were possible, to analyze my problem by using the Collocation Method in a cracked configuration.

Thanks for any information.

Adriana

sewell
03-14-2007, 11:29 AM
[I am in communication with Adriana on this. It is possible to solve elastic crack problems with the collocation option, but only for simple geometries; for complicated regions the Galerkin option should be used] - G.Sewell