PDA

View Full Version : PV-WAVE 8.51 TV/TVSCL segmentation violations

donb
07-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Over the last month or so a few of our customers have reported a segmentation violation when using PV-WAVE v8.51 and the TV or TVSCL procedures. This issue has been seen on a few Linux releases and on Solaris 10.

Technical Support has determined the cause of this error to be an updated version of the X Windows Library ? one that was not available at the time we tested and released PV-WAVE 8.51.

Some of our customers have been able to revert back to a previous XLib version as a temporary work around. If this option is not available for your particular environment, you can expect to see a patch to PV-WAVE 8.51 to address this issue no later than the end of September.

While PV-WAVE is certainly not the only software product to be affected by this particular change in Xlib, Visual Numerics wishes to express our apology to any of our customers that have encountered this problem.

Best Regards,

Don B.

donb
08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
As promised in the previous post, we are pleased to announce that a PV-WAVE patch is now available to address the segmentation violation encountered using the TV/TVSCL commands in PV-WAVE v8.51 on Solaris and Linux platforms.

The PV-WAVE download page starts here (http://www.vni.com/products/wave/pvwave/patches.php). Then click on the Download link for PV-WAVE 8.51b, and then scroll down until you see the ?Xlib Patch? section to download the patch file specific to your platform.

We have also addressed this issue in the upcoming release of PV-WAVE, version 9.0. Watch this Forum for other PV-WAVE 9.0 details; and you can expect the release to become available before the end of this year!!

Best Regards,

Don B.

Juergen Salk
10-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Has anybody tried these patches on Linux? For me the problem
persists after applying the patches lnx_851b.zip and Xlib_851b_linux.zip.

I have had an unpatched PV-WAVE 8.51 running on Debian Etch (x86)
which was affected by this bug.

(see:http://forums.vni.com/showthread.php?t=764)

Now I have applied the patches lnx_851b.zip and Xlib_851b_linux.zip
(in this order) on the previously unpatched 8.51 version:

# ls -l wave/bin/bin.linux/wave
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 3771720 2005-12-07 14:59 wave/bin/bin.linux/wave

# unzip -o lnx_851b.zip
Archive: lnx_851b.zip
inflating: dblink/bin/bin.linux/dbms.linux.a
inflating: gtgrid-2_0/lib/gtgrid_init.cpr
inflating: gtgrid-2_0/lib/gtgrid_init.pro

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 3780424 2006-08-10 12:31 wave/bin/bin.linux/wave

# unzip -o Xlib_851b_linux.zip
Archive: Xlib_851b_linux.zip
inflating: wave/bin/bin.linux/tswave
inflating: wave/bin/bin.linux/wave
inflating: wave/bin/bin.linux/wave.linux.a

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 3780456 2007-08-21 13:46 wave/bin/bin.linux/wave

However, the initial problem still persits:

$ wave

WAVE> print, !VERSION.REVISION
b
WAVE> mandril = BYTARR(512, 512)
WAVE> OPENR, unit, !Data_dir + 'mandril.img', /Get_lun
WAVE> READU, unit, mandril
WAVE> WINDOW, XSize=512, YSize=512
WAVE> TV, mandril
% ERROR: Signal encountered: Segmentation violation.
% Since this may indicate a serious problem, it is recommended you save
all data and restart PV-WAVE.
% Execution halted at $MAIN$ (TV).

Best regards - Juergen

rwagner
10-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Juergen,
We have tested this patch on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, our officially supported Linux distribution, and it fixed the problem there. Unfortunately I have heard that this did not fix the problem on some other Linux platforms. The original seg. fault was a result of a recent security patch applied to the X libraries. Since different versions of X are installed on different Linux distributions, it will be hard to determine if the patch will work for a given Linux platform until the changes to X are propagated though the different Linux distributions.
We are looking into the cause of the problem on these other systems, but until we resolve this issue we, unfortunately, are left with the only solution being to downgrade your version of X. ( Any version before 2:1.0.3-7 will do. )

-Ryan

rwagner
10-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Just an update on this topic...

We've started seeing the various Linux distros fixing this themselves by recompiling the Xlib source and sending out updates. I've tested the new 'Gutsy' release of Ubuntu and it has been patched, and have been told by one of our engineers in France that an upgrade for SuSe also has patched the Xlibs.

I believe searching for the following patch will allow you to recompile the Xlibs from source and patch your own distribution.

xcb_xlib-no-assert-on-lock.patch

SebGR
10-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Yes, it could be a good idea to give a try with PV-WAVE 9.0: I've seen multiple cases where this upgrade did fix this TV seg fault issue (Debian Etch 4, SuSE 10.2 and Mandriva 2007 if I remember well).

Feel free to let us know your feedback!