PDA

View Full Version : installing Pv-wave under Debian

Kamal
09-08-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm trying to install pv-wave on 64 bits platform (my os being Debian). The problem is that a termcap library is needed in order to start a wave session. As far as I know the termcap library exists only in 32 bits. Is there any solution for this problem ?

Best regards,

K.

rwagner
09-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi, here's a solution from our Tips database:

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

on many linux systems the termcap shared library has been replaced
with ncurses... PV-WAVE needs termcap to start up

SOLUTION
Date Received: 09/10/2007 RJW

while a user can install termcap-compat, an easier solution is:

ln -s /lib/libncurses.so.5 /lib/libtermcap.so.2

This is especially useful on 64 bit linux machines which will not
support the 32-bit termcap libs.

Kamal
09-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Hi, here's a solution from our Tips database:

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

on many linux systems the termcap shared library has been replaced
with ncurses... PV-WAVE needs termcap to start up

SOLUTION
Date Received: 09/10/2007 RJW

while a user can install termcap-compat, an easier solution is:

ln -s /lib/libncurses.so.5 /lib/libtermcap.so.2

This is especially useful on 64 bit linux machines which will not
support the 32-bit termcap libs.

Many thanks. It works.

Kamal
02-02-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi,

I've a serious problem with pv-wave. When plotting something on window and passing one window on the other it erases the figures.

I've a debian 64 bits. It works fine when I run compiz-fusion...

How can we solve this problem ?

Best wishes,

K.

rwagner
02-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Kamal,
The problem you're seeing is a result of not having a backing store properly set up. Try the following before doing any plotting:

device, retain=2

-Ryan

Kamal
02-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Hi Kamal,
The problem you're seeing is a result of not having a backing store properly set up. Try the following before doing any plotting:

device, retain=2

-Ryan

Wao ! It works...

Thank you very much.

donb
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Kamal,

Now that we've confirmed that backing store is indeed the issue....

The command Ryan provided (DEVICE, Retain=2) tells PV-WAVE to manage and control window events that have redrawing possibilites; such as cases where a window is moved or popped to the front, PV-WAVE now has to spend time catching those events and handle the redrawing of the window content.

While PV-WAVE can handle those tasks (as you reported in your post), it's not really something you want PV-WAVE to do. Backing store is the responsibility of the windowing system - X windows in your case, and it appears that Debian's default is to disable backing store. A better solution is to tell X Windows to handle all window redraw events...

Check your xorg.conf file if you want to set the Backing Store to true.

Cheers, Don B.

Kamal
04-15-2009, 04:44 AM
Hi Kamal,

Now that we've confirmed that backing store is indeed the issue....

The command Ryan provided (DEVICE, Retain=2) tells PV-WAVE to manage and control window events that have redrawing possibilites; such as cases where a window is moved or popped to the front, PV-WAVE now has to spend time catching those events and handle the redrawing of the window content.

While PV-WAVE can handle those tasks (as you reported in your post), it's not really something you want PV-WAVE to do. Backing store is the responsibility of the windowing system - X windows in your case, and it appears that Debian's default is to disable backing store. A better solution is to tell X Windows to handle all window redraw events...

Check your xorg.conf file if you want to set the Backing Store to true.

Cheers, Don B.

Many thanks for the info.

I'll try to configure my xorg.conf. I'll let you know of my progress.

Kamal
03-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Since my last upgrade of Debian system I've the following error when using pv-wave

% ERROR: Signal encountered: Segmentation violation.
% Since this may indicate a serious problem, it is recommended you save
all data and restart PV-WAVE.

What ever I do with pv-wave I've this error.

Any idea ?

rwagner
03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Kamal,
To be honest, I don't know what is causing this problem. I run the latest version of Ubuntu (a Debian based distribution) and have not seen this issue. I'm sure you know that PV-WAVE is unsupported on any linux distribution except RedHat Enterprise v4, but in my experience it works on just about any linux distribution. All I can think is that the update changed one of your system libraries that PV-WAVE uses, and it is incompatible with previous versions. The best advice I can offer in this situation is to revert back to the previous version of your OS.

-Ryan

Kamal
03-12-2010, 03:40 AM
Many thanks for the info.

It sounds that pv-wave have a real problem to take into account linux users' needs. As as result Matlab is taking over the market... I'm very deceived !

Best wishes,

K.

egcp
11-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I was getting the same problem of segmentation violation when I created a soft link for the required libXm.so.3 from libXm.so.2 from lesstif. Once I changed that soft link to libXm.so.4 from openmotif, Wave works fine in Fedora 12.

egcp