PDA

View Full Version : Xlib: unexpected async reply

SpinMan
01-29-2009, 04:23 AM
I need your help with the titled problem. I don't understand the interaction between PV-Wave widgets, Exceed, X11, etc. I do know that when I run PV-Wave on one remote VAX the error rarely occurs. On another remote VAX the error always occurs. I use alot of the encapsulated WG routines for displays, but no over-arching widget for the program. If y'all had any suggestions as to how to overcome this I'd really appreciate it.

rwagner
01-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi SpinMan,
Can you tell me the OS and PV-WAVE versions you're running? I believe the inconsistency between the two machines probably deals with different X11 library version numbers. Can you also send these?

-Ryan

SpinMan
01-30-2009, 03:49 AM
Ryan,
Here's what !version replies:
ARCH: 'axp'
RELEASE: '7.00'
PLATFORM: 'VMS'

How can I determine which Xlib library version number in use? We're using Hummingbird Exceed 8.0 as the X Windows manager.

Spin

rwagner
02-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Spinman,
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I've been looking at the differences between PV-WAVE 7 and 8 on VMS for a while and while I didn't find a change that specifically addressed the problem you're seeing, it looks like a number of graphics/display changes were made between these two releases. Since you are seeing this problem on PV-WAVE 7 and not on 8 it must have been addressed in one of the updates.

-Ryan

SpinMan
02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
If I understand you correctly, the "problem" lies in v7.

Is there any explanation in the subsequent releases as to why the graphics changes were made. I'd like to get an idea if there is any way to counteract the problem.

-SpinMan

rwagner
02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Yes, I see the problem residing in version 7. In looking through the release notes for subsequent versions I was not able to find a change made to address your specific problem, but a number of changes were made to graphical procedures like TV to resolve VMS specific problems. I'm afraid this all makes it very hard to determine which fix had the fortunate side-effect of fixing your bug as well.