PDA

View Full Version : IMSL upgrade question

mato_lovrak
07-07-2009, 05:19 AM
My question is regarding upgrading Intel Visual Fortran compiler with IMSL library.

If, for example I have one of the prevoius version of Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional edition with IMSL library version (8 or 9 or 10) and I want to buy current version of compiler (right now that is version 11) only, without IMSL, is it possible to install IMSL library which comes with some of the previous version of Intel Visual Fortran Compiler (for example version 8 or 9 or 10) which I've already purchased together with previous version of Intel Visual Fortran compiler professional edition?

Does it work?

As you can see from the Intel price list, that would be much cheaper that to buy current version of Intel compiler with IMSL library.

ed
07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
It may be possible to install the older version of IMSL with the newer compiler version, but it won't work properly. We have an extensive test suite for the library that is run against new compiler versions. If tests fail or if the build procedure changes, our development team ports the library to the new compiler so everything is properly documented and all tests pass.

For the IVF 11 release, we had to create a new version of the IMSL Fortran library. I don't recall what the exact failures were, but the version for 10 doesn't work properly under 11. It's a little more expensive, but you should upgrade to the latest version. I don't know if they offer discounts for existing users -- that would be a question for Intel.

physicist
07-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Well, the question was (as I see it) whether the previous version of the Intel compiler
would still run with existing IMSL version.

Of course, running different compiler versions is not always efficient, but ... .

physicist

ed
07-15-2009, 04:54 AM
I see where my language may have been confusing. By "previous version of IMSL" I actually meant the port to the previous compiler version. Since we support so many compiler/OS combinations, we're constantly releasing new "versions" of IMSL Fortran 6.0.

But the message is that each port of the IMSL Library is for a specific compiler version and operating system. Often, updates in operating systems will not break anything, but sometimes system libraries will change (especially for Linux/UNIX platforms) and our internal tests will fail, requiring yet another port. Updating a compiler version, however, almost always causes issues and requires a new port. This is the case here -- the IMSL Fortran 6.0 for IVF 10 didn't pass all tests running under IVF 11 and so we had to build a new version under IVF 11 and this one is supported.

I'm not sure this is any clearer, but I hope so.