PDA

View Full Version : Saving Color Plots to Postscript Files

solargus
05-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Background: I'm running PV-Wave v9.01 on a Sun system running Solaris 10.

I'd like to be able to save off plots to postscript files in color, but so far, I've only been able to do so in B&W. For the purpose of saving plots, PV-Wave ignores any commands I give it to change the color scheme.

How can I save a color plot to a postscript file?

Thanks.

acg
05-23-2011, 02:11 PM
You can enable color PostScript output by specifying the Color keyword in the PostScript device. For example:

SET_PLOT, 'PS'
DEVICE, /Color, Filename='myfile.ps'

In addition, the Bits_Per_Pixel keyword can be used to adjust the resolution. Here is an excerpt from the documentation:

Bits_Per_Pixel ? PV-WAVE is capable of producing PostScript images with 1, 2, 4, or 8 bits per pixel.
Using more bits per pixel gives higher resolution at the cost of generating larger files.
Bits_Per_Pixel is used to specify the number of bits to use.
The default number of bits is four.

For more information refer to the "PostScript Output" section in Chapter "Output Devices and Window Systems" of the PV-WAVE Reference Guide.

solargus
05-24-2011, 06:57 AM
I can't set the background to white. According to the documentation, this is "easily done" with

A(WHERE(A EQ 0B)) = 255B

This does not work. I've even tried using

background = 255

with the shade_surf command, and

!p.background = 255

but those too are ineffectual. Nothing I've tried sets the postscript background to white.

Any ideas?

solargus
05-24-2011, 08:08 AM
After playing with the system color tables, I was finally able to get some of them to work. I still don't know why some accepted their backgrounds being set to white while others didn't, but I am at least able to get up and running.

Thank you so much for your advice. It was very helpful.