Thread: How do I set up my program for memory debugging?

How do I set up my program for memory debugging?

Simply add -g to the command you use to compile your program.

MemoryScape is non-invasive, which means it doesn't add code to your program. More importantly, you do not have to add calls to memory functions within your code.
    Barry Kingsbury
    Director of Documentation and Web Services
    TotalView Technologies, LLC.

Re: [Barry-TotalView-Tech] How do I set up my program for memory debugging?

Dear Totalview Support Team

we have memscape 3.0 and we have an mpi program and this might have a memory leak , which is making the program crashes . the problem is that the memory use seems to jump with the number of mpi tasks . So the problem is evident with 1024 or more cores, Our Machine is a large SGI Altix/4700 with large partitions that work in share memory , so some times if the scheduler (PBS) puts the problematic task into a big chunk the program runs.

What would be the best way to debug. , First I would like to know how to lunch a mpi job and if there is special thing to set up in batch mode. Of course we dont have 1000 + cores for interactive use. It is possible to use memscript in such a way we can get traces of information and filter /order/sort , the tasks that in a particular time was uses much/less memory and to see the evolution of memory use of a particular task. Or maybe to aggregate and consolidate data with leak detection .

Regards

Orlando Rivera