Thread: Scheduling licences

Scheduling licences

We have all of our Totalview team licenses served by a single flexlm server. We also have 2 different architectures available. In our batch environment we want to manage jobs such that they don't start unless a license of the correct achitecture is available. Can anybody tell me how that can be done? I know you can get total licenses, but we need to know for each architecture..

Cheers,
    Aaron

Re: [aaron] Scheduling licences

Aaron,

I know from the data base that you have two licenses, one for Team x86/x86-64 and one for Team IA64. The x86/x86-64 are interchangeable, so that will cover both of those platforms when a license is available. You IA64 one should show as a separate license under lmstat -S. So that should allow you to see which licenses are available for that license. Does that give you enough granularity to go on?

Regards,
    Pete
    Pete Thompson
    TotalView Customer Services

Re: [Peter-TotalView-Tech] Scheduling licences

Hi Pete,

The lmstat -S output gives:

Users of TotalView_Team: (Total of x licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

where x is the total of both types.

If I add the optional argument for -S (according to the license file this is toolworks - DAEMON toolworks
    ) I get:

DAEMONs in configuration file: toolworks
    Users of features served by toolworks:
    Users of TotalView_Team: (Total of x licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

With our current license file I don't see how to get the information for each architecture.

Aaron

Re: [aaron] Scheduling licences

Hello Aaron,

Sigh... I see what you mean. I had expected the licenses to be listed separately, but it looks like we're just accumulating them all under the Team banner, rather than x for team license 1 and y for team license 2. I wonder if you might be able to set up something in the license.opt file to help take care of this. In short, without going into too many details, you get set up your options file to restrict access to licenses to certain groups, which can be based on usernames, or ip addresses or similar qualifiers. So Group A may only use the x86/x86-64 platform, and group B only ia64. You can find the documentation for settig this up in the FlexLM user guide, which is under the flexlm-10.8.0-3/doc directory. That will limit access so that it only serves people on the right platform. Whether or not it will show up as something you can query with lmstat is unknown though. I'd have to dig deeper to figure that out and I don't have the time right now.

If you find out anything along these lines, let me know. I'll be checking in again on Monday.

Regards,
    Pete
    Pete Thompson
    TotalView Customer Services