Thread: Setting breakpoints in different processes

Setting breakpoints in different processes

I'm using TVD 8.0.2 to debug MPI (Verari) applications. I added the -tv flag to the mpirun command and TV starts up fine. The first process that is brought up by TV I can set breakpoints in. However, the 2nd process I'm trying to debug, I can't seem to access the source for setting breakpoints.

If I add the directory for the other process in "Preferences" it doesn't help. Anything I enter in the function/file text entry box gets a response that it can't find the file/function - even when I put in an absolute path.

I'm sure this is just operator error, but I can't seem to find the right info in the manuals to help me get past it. All help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Les

Re: [lhartzman] Setting breakpoints in different processes

I just discovered how to do this. No longer an issue.

Les

Hello Lee,

Would you like to share what you found out? Missing sources are often a cause for frustration for our users, and you seemed to cover the basic methods we suggest in the first post. Did you then try Open Source (through VIew or File?)
    Pete Thompson
    TotalView Customer Services

Re: [Peter-TotalView-Tech] Setting breakpoints in different processes

What I did was wait until the 2nd process showed up in the main TV window which show process and number of threads. Then I right clicked on the 2nd process and selected "Dive in new window". From there I was able to get to the functions I wanted to set breakpoints in.

What I don't understand is why the 2nd process was not represented by its own proper name. Instead it was shown as "1st processname.1" - the first process showed up as "1st processname.0".

Les

What do you mean by "2nd process was not represented by its own proper name"? For a SIMD MPI job processes are named as <executable_name>.<mpi_rank_in_comm_world>. However, from what you described it sounds like your process 2 was not created from the same executable image as process 1. Is that true? If it isn't true then any breakpoints that you set in process 1 should also be set in process 2 and all subsequent processes. This is assuming you haven't altered the default properties of the breakpoint (which allow you to specify which processes you want the breakpoint set in).

Josh Carlson