Thread: Memory use of instructions

Memory use of instructions

Hi for all!
    I want to know if it is possible to visualize memory address of variables and instructions and represent these informations on graphs.
    If yes, How can I do it?
    Thanks a lot!

Re: [nesrine] Memory use of instructions

It is possible to examine the values of memory locations and display the information as graphs. One way to accomplish this is with the "View -> Lookup Variable" feature. You may type 'v' as a shortcut. You should then enter the address of the variable you wish to examine. Alternatively, you can enter the variable name if you have compiled your program with debug information.

You should then cast the type to any valid format that you wish. Some possible types include $int[20], $long[30] or $code[50].

Finally, you can view the data as a graph by choosing "Tools -> Visualize" from the data window.

Rob Solomon
    Rogue Wave Technical Support - Senior Engineer

Re: [Rob-TotalView] Memory use of instructions

Hi!
    Thanks for your help!
    I followed all steps but what I obtained and what you obtained is not the memory graph; it is the values graph written in Hexa.
    In fact, I need to visualize the access of memory of all variables during the runtime of my application.
    I could see heap status (all memory addresses) but I don't have idea about the time of this access.
    I could see the size of memory used during the runtime but not address of variables.
    How Can I use TotalView or Memoryscape to do this?

Thanks again for your help!! []

Hi Nesrine,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I now understand more about your request. Unfortunately, our products do not presently offer this feature.

If you would like, you may send an email making an "enhancement request". You should send it to "support@totalviewtech.com". Please provide a brief description of the features and functionality that you need and/or would like. It will get forwarded to the appropriate people.

Thanks
    Rob Solomon
    Rogue Wave Technical Support - Senior Engineer

wow....nice post.....