Thread: STL iterators under debugger?

STL iterators under debugger?

Hi everybody,

Does someone know why there is no support for iterators under TotalView? Was there some reason not to have this or there is some technical restriction?
    I have tried to implement TTF for them but for some reason (probably I do something wrong) my TTF isn't called for iterators (I tried to call them Struct) although I was able to use TTF for usual classes. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

Re: [Erex] STL iterators under debugger?

I do know that writing up type transforms, or TTF's s we refer to them, is not the easiest most straight forward task. I suspect we offered vectors, maps, lists, and strings as the easiest and most used STL methods. It may be that iterators are specific to each particular STL and that makes a single iteratorator transform more difficult. But I hae also seen a suggestion for a single iterator TTF, so that previous argument might not hold. If you want to post your attempt at an iterator TTF here, I'd be interested in taking a look at it and I or someone else looking in, might be able to help out.

Regards,
    Pete Thompson
    TotalView Customer Services

Re: [Peter-TotalView-Tech] STL iterators under debugger?

Hi Pete,

Thank you very much for the response! I'll do ask you more about iterators but a bit latter. The thing is that I found that we use different versions of C++ standard library at once (which is awful of course and should be fixed ASAP) and because of this I suppose the TotalView has problems with correct casting of types. So we should fix this first.
    But from the point of view of C++ debugging it would be extremely useful to support full set of objects from standard library. It's so painful and time consuming to debug such programs.

Thank you,
    Andrey.