Thread: Combine Licenses from multiple servers

Combine Licenses from multiple servers

We have one in-house system and one that goes on the road. When they are both in-house can we combine them (much like a redundant server.) This is useful because one of our servers has 24 TV and 8 Replay licenses and the other has 132 TV. I tried defining LM_LICENSE_FILE (both the port@host and filename mechanisms) and putting two flexlm- directories in the toolworks directory and neither seems to work. I did not try the USE_SERVER in license.dat though. V/r

Re: [hergtp] Combine Licenses from multiple servers

Ah, I can see I haven't been here in a while. Sorry ;-)

How did you set up LM_LICENSE_FILE? You should be able to do something like

setenv LM_LICENSE_FILE 7127@sys1:7127@sys2:$LM_LICENSE_FILE

and is should search sys1 first, and then sys2 if it can't find a match. But it may decide not to cross over to sys2 if it finds a TotalView license server on sys1. Even if sys1 can't serve the request. I don't believe it acts like a larger pool of tokens in this instance.

Cheers,
    Pete
    Pete Thompson
    TotalView Customer Services

Re: [Peter-TotalView-Tech] Combine Licenses from multiple servers

Never did get this working right. I tried as you suggested, as well as creating two flexlm directories under .../toolworks/.
    In my setup of sys1 using 24 teams and 8 replay, and sys2 using 132 teams , if sys1 is used up, the sys2 132 are not available nor are any of the replays.
    I'll double check as this has been a quite a while ago.

Regards,

Re: [hergtp] Combine Licenses from multiple servers

The handling of Flex licenses is odd and torturous. We search for a suitable license, just capability-wise, and decide to use that. If it then turns out that all of those licenses are in use, I could well imagine that TotalView does not bother to check that there might be other servers available with more tokens. It might be possible to do that if we changed the algorithm, but playing around with that section of code usually adversely affects other licenses, so we treat it carefully. If you switched the order of sys1 and sys2 in LM_LICENSE_FILE I would imagine that would work, but you might just as well use the other one separately.

It might be worthy of an enhancement request, but you'd have to send it off to support first. We're just trying to stick to the policy that this is a place for advice, not for filing bugs and enhancements.

Cheers
    Pete Thompson
    TotalView Customer Services