Thread: Erro when debuuging CUDA code with TotalView.

Erro when debuuging CUDA code with TotalView.

Hi,

I am trying to fix some error related to SEGMENTATION FAULT. So when I try to fix the error by step by step debugging the code I got couple of errors :

ERROR: cuda_trace_obj::initialize_cuda_library: Cuda initialize() returned CUDBG_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE(20)!
    ERROR: cuda_system_status_t::initialize: Error CUDBG_ERROR_UNINITIALIZED(5) getting device count

Any help or pointers regarding the above mentined errors is apprecited.

Abhishek
    University of Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to fix some error related to SEGMENTATION FAULT. So when I try to fix the error by step by step debugging the code I got couple of errors :

ERROR: cuda_trace_obj::initialize_cuda_library: Cuda initialize() returned CUDBG_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE(20)!
    ERROR: cuda_system_status_t::initialize: Error CUDBG_ERROR_UNINITIALIZED(5) getting device count

Any help or pointers regarding the above mentined errors is apprecited.

Abhishek
    University of Utah.
    Hi Abhishek,

Does this run on the CUDA device normally (except for the seg fault?) It looks like TotalView is not seeing the device properly. Can you tell me which version of TotalView you are trying? And which CUDA SDK you are trying to run? We are only running on CUDA 4.2 and don't yet have support for 5.0.

One thing we can't do is to debug the CUDA device if it is being used for an X display. So if you are using the card to run the display, that won't work, though the error usually seen at that point is one about the device being watchdogged, if I recall correctly. Are you using CUDA directly or are you using OpenACC or OpenCL. We support the Cray OpenACC compiler and are waiting on other vendors to supply us enough debug information to get things correct.

Let me know what you can.

Cheers,
    PeterT
    Pete Thompson
    TotalView Customer Services