Thread: RTL Languages in the Grid

RTL Languages in the Grid

We are trying to enable Hebrew in our objective grids, which works well enough for fonts with a Hebrew code page (grrr! Segoe UI!). However, we are having problems with combo boxes giving "Encountered an improper argument" when we try dropping them down. Are there any gotchas I should know about when trying to use RTL languages? (We'll might want to do Arabic too).

We are building an MBCS MFC app in Win7.

This does appear to be something to do with RTL-ness, but I'm not sure if it's my problem or the Grids. It comes from the creation (and re-creation) of the Edit control when editing the cell.

When in "Hebrew Mode" I use ChangeStandardStyle to change the base font, ensuring it uses the Hebrew charset of the default system font. I've now also added a SetUserAttribute to set the GX_IDS_UA_RTLREADING parameter to "1".

The problem stems from CGXEditControl::UpdateEditStyle() where we have:

DWORD dwEditStyle = CalcEditStyle(&rectNP, m_dyHeight);
    BOOL bChanged = m_dwEditStyle != dwEditStyle
    // Check if the WS_EX_RTLREADING style has changed
    || (((CWnd::GetExStyle() & WS_EX_RTLREADING) != 0) != m_bRTL);

Which always seems to think that WS_EX_RTLREADING has changed. If I ignore this, I don't get the error.
    If I'm editing an 'edit' cell, the text stays right-aligned, and editing starts. However, if I'm 'editing' a 'combo' cell, the drop-down contents are not right-aligned, as if they haven't inherited their RTL-ness from the base style.

Do I need to set RTL separately in child controls of the grid?

After recompiling I find that the behaviour of my app is mostly OK with changing to (see above):

BOOL bChanged = m_dwEditStyle != dwEditStyle;

I think the Combo drop down problem is because the CreateEx in CGXGridCombo only uses WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW. (i.e., it makes no account of the possibility that I might want an RTL drop down). My users can probably put up with that.

I still don't think this is the right way to fix this though.

If you are trying this...

You also need to change the active/inactive fonts for CGXTabWnd and CGXTabBeam, and the font for CGXRecordInfoBeam, to something that supports the appropriate code page (the default, Arial Narrow, doesn't).