Thread: Customize Window Layout

Customize Window Layout

Currently when I open TotalView the stack trace window is in the upper left hand side and then the stack frame window is to the right of it. Below is the src code viewer. Given the relatively large monitors that are prevalent there is a large portion of screen real estate that is blank white space. (In my case this is over half of the screen if the window is maximized.

Ideally I would like the option of 1) hiding a window if itís not interesting at the moment (for example the stack trace is not always of interest)

2) Placing the stack frame side by side with the source I could then efficiently make use the screen size.

3) Finally I find it a bit clumsy to have new windows for each variable one wantís to dive down. Is there a way to expand the value inside of the stack frame instead of opening a new window?
    Perhaps all of these options are available already, if so it would be great to get a tip on how to enable such function. If not please consider adding the function.

Thanks
    Brad.

Hi Brad,

With the current GUI, there is not too much you can do with the layout. We've been working on updating the GUI to have many of the features you are looking for, but that's not quite ready for prime time. One feature that you might not be aware of is the Expression List, which you can add variables to which then get updated when the process is stopped. But we give only a single line to each variable, so it can be a nice place to keep track of single variables, but any aggregates (Class, structures, arrays, etc) will stil need their own window to inspect the contents. You can add them to the expression list, but they will just give a reference to the aggregate.

Regards,
    Pete Thompson
    TotalView Customer Services