Thread: Operating environment and more

Operating environment and more

Hi
    We testing out changes to our operating environment and I would appriciate your info on 32-bit 64-bit blending.
    We want to have our server running 64-bit windows operating system. We are actually aiming for 2008 Server.
    I still want to compile the code as 32-bit so not to introduce now issues into the setup. What do you think of running 32-bit RW apps on 64-bit op? And also we are using Oracle 11g r1 client, should I try to have that 32-bit as the app or 64-bit like the operating system?
    Also if you guys have any documentation or knowlege base articles please post me a link.

Regards
    Johann T

Administrator
    Johann,

SourcePro edition 10 supports both 32 and 64 builds on the 64 bit environment. So you should have no problems with what you are describing. The Oracle 11g client will be supported with the next release, SourcePro edition 10 update 1. This release is in the final stages of testing and should be available soon. As far as the client goes, we test in the same configuration, so if you are building 64 bit libraries, then we use the 64 bit client. If you are using the 32 bit libraries even on a 64 bit OS, then we use the 32 bit clients.

Jeremy
    Jeremy Dean
    Rogue Wave Software
    Technical Support
    support@roguewave.com