Thread: Compatibility with g95+Windows and intel+Ubuntu?

Trouble with validation/imslmp.f90 (last installation step)

This is a fairly basic question on having trouble getting my compiler to work with the library—apologies for my ignorance.

I've installed the IMSL fortran library first on a Windows 10 machine with the g95 compiler, but trying to compile imslmp.f90 under \examples\validate (i.e., step 7 of the installation instructions in README) yielded the following:

imslmp.f90: (.text+0xfa): undefined reference to `s_rand_gen_'
    imslmp.f90: (.text+0x113): undefined reference to `verml_'
    imslmp.f90: (.text+0x159): undefined reference to `verml_'
    imslmp.f90: (.text+0x2b4): undefined reference to `s_rand_gen_'
    imslmp.f90: (.text+0x323): undefined reference to `s_show_v_'
    imslmp.f90: (.text+0x3b9): undefined reference to `s_rand_gen_'

Attempting the same on a unix server running Ubuntu yielded a different error:

Fatal Error: Reading module ‘rand_gen_int’ at line 1 column 2: Unexpected EOF.

My best guess is that this due to compatibility with compilers (I need the Intel Fortran Compiler for my Windows Machine) and OSs (IMSL only works on RHEL and not Ubuntu, even if running the Intel compiler), but I'd like confirmation that this is true.

Thank you!

===a few more details===
    The commands that I entered were:
    g95 imslmp.f90 -I\user\local\RogueWave\imsl\fnl-2018.0.0\win100in170x64\include\static -L\user\local\RogueWave\imsl\fnl-2018.0.0\win100in170x64\lib

ifort imslmp.f90 -I/local/user/RogueWave/imsl/fnl-2018.0.0/rdh730in170x64/include -L/local/user/RogueWave/imsl/fnl-2018.0.0/rdh730in170x64/lib
    Last edited by conda; 03-29-2018 at 09:05 PM.

The module files supplied with each version of IMSL are for a specific Fortran compiler. Module files intended for use by the Intel Fortran compiler on Windows are not compatible with G95. Similarly, module files for use with the Intel Fortran compiler on Linux are not compatible with g95 or gfortran.

Thanks, and understood.

In the second instance where I've switched over to Linux, I'm using the Intel Fortran Compiler, so I don't think it's an issue of compiler use. The Linux server runs Ubuntu, so is this an issue of Ubuntu/RHEL compatibility?
    Last edited by conda; 04-05-2018 at 06:13 PM.

I have never used IMSL and IFort installed on any Linux system other than openSuse, and that was years ago. I do recall that VNI provided two different Linux distributions of IMSL-Fortran, one for Red Hat and another for Suse. Perhaps the Roguewave people will tell us whether the Red Hat distribution, which you have installed, is suitable for Ubuntu. Is your Ubuntu server running a 64-bit OS? Is the Ifort on it also 64-bit?

Which version of the Intel Fortran compiler do you have on the Ubuntu system? If it an older one, it may not be able to read the newer versions of the module files (*.mod) that are distributed with IMSL 2018.
    Last edited by mecej4; 04-07-2018 at 04:12 AM.

They only offered me the Red Hat versions, so I went ahead and assumed that my problems were compatibility between that and Ubuntu. I'm not working off of a Windows 7 virtual machine, and it seems to be working.

Thank you for your help!