Thread: Missing Library

Missing Library

I am working with a client that uses the IMSL libraries for FORTRAN in a windows environment.

The client is able to build the FORTRAN executable and run the program within visual studio (2017). When trying to execute the program outside of visual studio, a message is displayed "cannot find IMSLMKL_DLL.DLL.

An Internet search indicates that changes are required the the PATH environmental variable. I have made several attempts to modify PATH but continue to get the same error.

I have two sets of questions:

1. Does anyone know exactly what should be added to PATH? Is there anyway to test, other than trying to run the program in question, that is is correct?

2. We are hopeful that the FORTRAN program can be executed on other computers as well? Can the required DLLs be copied to those computers or is another license required? If they can be copied, do we need to do anything other than change PATH?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Mack

Administrator
    Hi Mack,

The missing IMSLMKL_DLL.DLL is related to environment variables. In the IMSL Fortran README document, it talks about Environment variables and also the fnlsetup.bat which helps setup the environment. Here is a link to that document:
    https://docs.roguewave.com/en/imsl/fortran/2018.0/common/readme.html

As for question 2 of your set of questions, it would depend on the type of license that was purchased for the IMSL product. I would recommend that you contact the Rogue Wave sales group to find out what type of license you have. Contact by e-mail at info@roguewave.com.

Jeremy
    Jeremy Dean
    Rogue Wave Software
    Technical Support
    support@roguewave.com

Quote Originally Posted by mcgheeiv View Post
    ... exactly what should be added to PATH? Is there anyway to test, other than trying to run the program in question, that is is correct?
    The full path to the directory in which the desired DLL resides should be added to PATH. Furthermore, if that DLL depends on other DLLs such as the RTL DLLs of Intel Fortran, the paths of the directories containing those DLLs should also be added to PATH. The easiest way to make all this happen is to either (i) Open a Intel Fortran command window, if Intel Fortran is installed, or (ii) Open a command window and run a batch file that sets up PATH. If you choose (ii), which batch file to run depends on what packages have been installed -- IMSL, Parallel Studio, MKL runtime, etc.

The where command can be used to check whether a particular DLL or EXE is accessible through %PATH%.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgheeiv
    ... Can the required DLLs be copied to those computers or is another license required? If they can be copied, do we need to do anything other than change PATH?
    The licensing requirements are probably different for the IMSL components and the Intel components. The release notes and other "README" files that came with the distributions have to be consulted.

If you wish to compile Fortran programs that call IMSL (and/or MKL) routines using Fortran-9X interfaces (with optional and keyword arguments) the INCLUDE and LIB environment variables need to be modified, as you may see in the startup files such as FNLSETUP.BAT.
    Last edited by mecej4; 07-27-2019 at 03:24 AM.