Thread: Installation problem

Installation problem

I have installed new PyIMSL in to my windows xp professional computer where my imsl 6.0 is too.
    When trying example programs such as below:

from numpy import *
    from imsl.stat.arma import arma
    from imsl.stat.dataSets import dataSets
    p = 2
    q = 1
    n_observations = 100
    z = empty(100)
    relative_error = 0.0
    max_iterations = 0
    w = dataSets(2, xColDim=2)
    for i in range(0,n_observations):
    z[i] = w[21+i][1]
    parameters = arma(z, p, q,
    relativeError = relative_error,
    maxIterations = max_iterations)
    print "AR estimates are %11.4f and %11.4f." % (parameters[1], parameters[2])
    print "MA estimate is %11.4f." % parameters[3]

My installation does not find the library files. I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Python25\PyIMSL100_Install\imsl\example\stat\c h8\arma_ex1.py", line 2, in <module>
    from imsl.stat.arma import arma
    ImportError: No module named imsl.stat.arma
    >>>

My config-file in my opinion is correct:
    [DEFAULT]
    # CNL Version to be used with PNL
    CNL_VERSION=6.0.0
    #Location of the IMSL C libraries (DLL's or *.so files)
    CNL_LIB=C:\Program Files\VNI\imsl\cnl600\vc98pc\lib
    #Set it to true/True or 1 to use IMSL C MKL libraries
    IMSL_MKL=0
    #Location of the CNL license file.
    LM_LICENSE_FILE=C:\Program Files\VNI\LICENSE;C:\Program Files\VNI\license\license.dat

My path is
    PATH=C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\;C:\Program Files\Dyalog\Dyalog APL 11.0\bin\;C:\Program Files\Dyalog\Dyalog APL 11.0\bin;C:\Program Files\VNI\imsl\cnl600\vc98pc\lib;C:\WINDOWS\system 32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\HPQ\IAM\bin;"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\";C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\WinNT;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin;C:\Program Files\VNI\imsl\cnl600\vc98pc\lib;c:\python25

I have run my software from the main menu.

I think that installation of PyIMSL seems simple but I have not understood the installation documents.

I am mainly interested in using imsl from aplx (or Dyalog APL) product (see http://www.microapl.co.uk). It should also be simple.
    Could you get some people in MicroAPL company to program similar cover functions for aplx or Dyalog APL, too?

What should I do in order to solve my PyIMSL library problem?

PyIMSL install problem

This message indicates that Python isn't finding either the CNL or PyIMSL libraries.

We require the CNL libraries for Visual Studio 2003. Normally, these libraries are located at "C:\Program Files\VNI\imsl\cnl600\ms32pc\lib". It looks like you may be using the version for Visual Studio 6 instead, which is not supported. If this is the case, you will need to download and install the newer version of the CNL libraries. They can coexist on your machine with the VS6 versions if you make sure to answer "no" when the installer asks whether to override system environment variables. Then complete the installation as described below.

Normally, the PyIMSL libraries are installed in the Lib\site-packages\imsl directory under your Python install. For example, if you have Python installed at C:\Python25, the PyIMSL libraries will reside at C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\imsl. If this directory doesn't exist, it means that you probably didn't complete the install.

To complete the installation, you should go to the directory where you unzipped PyIMSL, and then type the following:

python setup.py install
    if the CNL libraries are installed at the default location, or
    python setup.py install --cnl-lib=<CNL_LIB>
    to explicitly specify where the CNL libraries are installed.

I managed to run

Thank you. Your advice was helpful. I was able to use my vc98pc-library that I have. I moved my python imsl directory to the place where it should be (C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages ).

I have run the program only once and got the results now, but shall continue testing.

Best Regards

vahanju

P.s. this forum seems useful really

PyIMSL installations on Linux

Hello! We tried a PyIMSL installation on an SGI Altix 4700 (Itanium2 processor).
    Now I see from the README file that this is probably not a supported platform.
    We are running SuSE Linux, SLES-10.

The following IMSL C Numerical Library platforms and versions are
    supported by PyIMSL 1.0:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    IMSL C Hardware Processor/ Operating
    Numerical Library Family System
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Version 6.0 Intel IA-32 (x86-32) Windows XP
    Version 6.0 Intel IA-32 (x86-32) Red Hat EL AS 4.0
    Version 6.0 AMD Opteron (x86-64) Red Hat EL AS 4.0

Using info from cat /proc/cpuinfo, the Itanium2 processor shows
    up as Vendor : GenuineIntel
    arch : IA-64

We would now like to try it on an SGI Altix ICE 8200 with Xeon quad-core
    processors. This machine is also running Suse linux. Is this likely to
    work? This shows up as Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5355 @ 2.66GHz,

The only AMD Opteron machine I have has just four cores instead of 1392 for the big cluster, so I'd really like to get it going on the ICE cluster.

Thanks for your help!
    Lucy Carruthers Research Computing, U of Arizona

Some options for running on IA-64 and Xeon

The PyIMSL wrappers are not supported on these platforms in the initial release of PyIMSL, but may work if you can get the Python components needed compiled. Here are the options:

For IA-64 we have CNL 6.0 available, but you need to have Python 2.5.2 (with ctypes support) and NumPy 1.1.0 - both compiled for 64 bit. This may be a challenge to compile (from our experience) but if you can compile these components the PyIMSL wrappers will likely work.

For Xeon platform you have 2 options: You can install the IA-32 version of CNL and use with Python/NumPy built for 32 bit (the normal IA-32 build). This essentially would be what you would use for 32 bit Linux and should work. If you are able to get Python/NumPy built for 64 bit then you can probably use that with the 64 bit CNL.

There are 2 possible minor issues with PyIMSL itself which we could help with if they arise: As part of the install we do a simple link to create a single shared library for the CNL math and stat libraries. This is to get around an issue with ctypes used to call them from Python. Depending on library names you might have to issue this command manually. A second issue might arise depending on what sys.platform.machine() returns in Python for these machines as we use that to identify what CNL library names to use, and may require a minor code change.

The first step is to get Python and NumPy running. Let us know what you have or can get to compile and we can go from there. It is exciting to see interest in Python and PyIMSL for HPC work!